Monday, August 8, 2011

Tmobile G2: Why there's a little love in a thing called Gingerbread.

You'll recall I did a review of my Tmobile G2 smartphone a few weeks ago.  I really liked it, but it wasn't love.  Recently, the operating system was upgraded from Android version 2.2 (FroYo - or Frozen Yogurt) to version 2.3.4 (Gingerbread).  I'm not explaining the names.  If you don't follow android, you won't get it in the space I have available here.  Either way, this update was provided by Tmobile over-the-air (OTA).  All I had to do was poke a button and it installed. 

At first glance, the update was a bit of a yawn.  Some things on the screen that were white are now black, which does look better asthtetically, but that was about the only visible change.  Over the past few days since the update, however, things have taken a turn for the better.  In my review, I noted one very annoying thing my phone did that I didn't like:  it would not stay connected to my wireless network at home.  Tmobile customer support gave me the runaround, stating they couldn't guarantee the function of the phone on anyone's network but their own.  For several reasons, I felt this was a phone issue and not anything to do with my home network.  I have now been vindicated because since the Gingerbread update, the phone now stays firmly attached to my home network like I would expect it to.  Take THAT Tmo! 

The other major improvement is the battery life between charging.  Through general use, I would basically need to charge the battery every night.  It wasn't completely drained, but it would need a charge by early the next day if I didn't.  I'd have to estimate that my battery life as a result of the upgrade has been extended by 75%.  I can pretty much squeeze 2 days out of my battery between charging now.

I originally stated in my review that if the wireless issue was fixed, I'd be able to give it 4.5 starts out of 5 instead of the 3.5 I gave it.  I can firmly give it the 4.5 stars it deserves.  I'm liking it more and more each day. 

2 comments:

  1. it kind of creeps me out that you have frozen yogurt & gingerbread people living INSIDE your phone!!!! Hmmmm! :) :)
    at least if it breaks, you'll have something good to EAT!!!! HA!!!!!
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this phone too. Haven't noticed the battery life issue really but I charge mine every night anyway. Love my G2.

    ReplyDelete